Saturday, November 18, 2017

Let's Take a Look

Eventually, after marriage, Geoff would get to experience the yearly ileoscopy.  This would be where my gastroenterologist would take a look at my small intestines and make sure there were no signs of Crohn's Disease making its return and that all looked healthy.

Lucky for him (and luckier for me), Geoff didn't have to endure my experience with the prep needed for colonscopies to clean out the intestines.  I don't have to do this with an ileostomy.  If anyone has had to be prepped for a colonoscopy, or had diarrhea due to a stomach virus, imagine that experience with a bag attached to you.

Now I've had to deal with diarrhea and my ileostomy because unfortunately the stomach virus still finds its way in my body.  It would seem great that one wouldn't have to run to the bathroom with those sudden and emergent urges.  But the problem is emptying a bag full of liquid.  It doesn't even have to be full.  Any liquid output can be hard to aim into the toilet without a mess.  The bag has to be emptied often.  Sleep is at a minimum with this issue.  It fills up so fast and sleeping doesn't slow the output down.

The worst part of the ileoscopy (besides being a mess after the procedure due to output) is the bloating.  They blow air into the intestines to widen them to make them more visible.  The air doesn't absorb into the intestinal walls.  It's got to come back out.  For the next few hours after the procedure, I have to deal with a bloated ileostomy bag (the bag balloons) and the discomfort that being bloated affords.  (This is still better than a colonoscopy prep.)
Anyway, back to the ileoscopy: the more entertaining and challenging part for Geoff would be after the test is complete.  The first few scopes, I had after having an ileostomy, I would be sedated.  So Geoff would come back to the recovery room to a groggy, slightly incoherent Megan.  Who knows (except for him) what I said.  I'd ask this once I awake enough to think.  He never admitted to anything.  He probably has videos stashed away to use in case he needs to pay me back for something someday.

I wouldn't be under anesthesia long because the test itself is maybe ten minutes long.  I know this because I no longer get sedated for the procedure.  This wasn't an issue the first couple of times.  My gastroenterologist even suggested it.  And for me, it’s barely noticeable that he's in there with this long, skinny, flexible tube looking at the inside for my small intestines.  It's even neat for me to be able to see what's going on.  And I like not having the 'hangover" when the procedure is finished.  It allows us to be able to leave the hospital quicker.  And the procedure can be messy as I’m not allowed to eat or drink for so many hours prior to the procedure, so whatever output there is becomes liquid, and inevitably there is a mess around my wafer once the procedure is complete  The more awake I am, the easier it is to get cleaned up.

However, the lack of anesthesia was an issue for one person at my last ileoscopy: the anesthesiologist.  My gastroenterologist had already confirmed and okayed that I didn't want anesthesia (like I said, it was his idea to begin with).  But the anesthesiologist didn't like that I refused the anesthesia for the procedure.  He wanted quick access in case of a need to administer a medication in an emergency.  I get that.  I said if he wanted an IV access point, go ahead and put one in.  But I do not want to be sedated.  My doctor and myself had already discussed it.  He was perturbed I could tell.  As if I couldn't hear him a few feet away, he was discussing with the other staff the situation.  And then he commented as they wheeled me out that I got what I wanted using that tone of voice that makes one feel 2 inches tall.  Real good bedside manner huh?  The nurses and my doctor made sure to let me know that my decision was fine.

Geoff's experience after this ileoscopy: he saw his wife's anger directed not at him for once.  Haha!




No comments:

Post a Comment