Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Beginning Life with a Diagnosis




Ulcerative Colitis: what in the world is that?  And what am I going to face next?

It's part of the Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) family.  The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation (crohnscolitisfoundation.org) defines Ulcerative Colitis as"...a chronic disease of the large intestine, also know as the colon, in which the lining of the colon becomes inflamed and develops tiny open sores or ulcers that produce pus and mucous.  The combination of inflammation and ulceration can cause abdominal discomfort and frequent emptying of the colon."

The results of my colonoscopy appeared to show inflammation solely in my large intestine.  However, the doctor was never 100% sure and would say at times that it could be Crohn's Disease (which can occur anywhere in the digestive tract).  With my inflammation in the colon, Ulcerative Colitis must have been the most obvious diagnosis.

So, with that, it was time to work on treatment.  And that started with a hospital admittance.  Yet another first time experience for my life.  Now the reason for being here was awful of course.  But all of that attention I was getting was nice (for a time).  There was medical staff checking in on me all of the time.  Some friends and family would come by (with gifts, too; who doesn't like gifts?)  And my mom never left the hospital, so there was one on one time there which is good when you feel like...poo!

The prior paragraph listed "highlights" of a hospital stay.  But lets face it...it's a hospital stay; where you're supposed to rest, right?  Well, actually I think I got woken up all day and night to take medicine, get lab work done, and have my vital signs taken.  Plus, with my sickly colon, I had to continue with the frequent trips to the bathroom.

And I had a new "friend".  We'll call her IV.  I'm sure you've met her.  IV tried to be helpful.  She gave me fluids to keep me hydrated.  And she gave me continuous doses of medicine which went directly in a vein and into my bloodstream for quicker action.  But was she ever awkward!  Tall and top heavy with big feet to match.  And IV followed me around EVERYWHERE.  She could be so ungraceful, starting off in a different direction than the one I was going in.  Oh, and the beeping!  Lets add annoying to her characteristics.  She beeped when she was hungry, so the nurses pacified her for a few minutes until they could get the proper liquids for her.  IV would beep when her access line got pinched.  (Excuse me for bending my arm when I'm sleeping.)  And don't leave her unplugged too long.  Hopefully, my trips to the bathroom wouldn't be too extensive.  (Okay, that last part may have been an exaggeration.  But she made sure everyone knew she was there.)

And sometimes I felt like a pincushion.  At one point (when I actually managed to fall asleep) my IV site had blown.  The fluid that should have been going into my vein was now going into my arm itself and had caused it to swell significantly and was very cold to the touch. My mom held her arm up to mine (to a 104 sickly pound body), and our arms were close to the same size.  So I painstakingly got a new IV put in.  The nurse left the tourniquet on for several minutes before actually sticking me.  (Ouch!)  And then, when she did stick my arm, she missed.  Twice.  (Double ouch!)  By this time, my lab work was due again.  Thank goodness those folks stick people all of the time.  I managed to get a new IV access.  

The food was great, too.  Not really.  And no complaints to the chefs.  But it was jello and broth for the most part.  I was really hungry though so they were better than nothing.  It just took a while before my body was grateful.  

Then there was another first: oral medications via capsules and tablets.  I'd never so much as taken a Tylenol before.  But before I could go home, I had to learn how to take these pills.  The staff and my parents were coaxing me on, offering tips like putting it the capsule on the back of my tongue and swallowing.  I just knew I'd choke.  Then suddenly I did it.  One pill at a time.  And again the next dose and so on.  Now I can take multiple pills at one time, and it doesn't even phase me.  So I was proud of this hill I had climbed.
  
Then, there is one medication that's like a devil in disguise.  Some of you can guess which it is.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment